Thursday, July 9, 2020

Mango Rice


Hello everyone,

Mango rice or manga saadham is very delicious rice which is similar to lemon rice with tangy taste. My mom used to make this but I was not fond of it. My MIL makes when its mango season. I like to take it for lunchbox.

 

This is the season for mangoes. My husband went to Indian store and bought raw mango. Its been long time since I made rice with mango. Hence, I decided to make it for lunch. Here is the recipe.


Ingredients:

Grated Raw Mango - 1 cup

Grated coconut - 1/4 cup

Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp

Cooked Rice - 2 cups

Salt as per taste

Coriander leaves - few for garnishing

 

To Temper:

Oil - 1tbsp

Mustard seeds - 1tsp

Urad dal - 1 1/2 tsp

Chana dal - 2 tsp

Hing a pinch

Green chili -  1 slit

Curry leaves - few

Peanuts - 1/4 cup

 

Method

  1. Dry roast the peanuts and keep it aside. Make sure not to burn the peanuts.
  2. Heat oil in a kadai, add the ingredients under 'To Temper' section except curry leaves, green chili and roasted peanuts.
  3. When the mustard seeds splutters and the dal turns brown, add curry leaves, green chili and peanuts.
  4. Add turmeric powder, grated mango. Mix well.
  5. Sauté for 2-3 mins or until the grated mango shrinks.
  6. Take cooked rice in a large bowl, add the mango mix, salt, grated coconut and coriander leaves. Mix well without breaking the rice.
  7.  Mango rice is ready to serve with appalam or any vadaam.

 

Notes:

  1. Rice has to be cooked in such a way that it is not sticky and the grain are separate.
  2. Rice has to be cooled.
  3. I always use less spice so that my son can eat. If you want the rice to be more spicy, add 1-2 red or greed chili.
  4. Skip step 1 if you have roasted peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment